Sunday, September 20, 2009

Philadelphia Distance Run








Well 10 weeks ago my sister told me she was signing up for the Philadelphia Distance Run(PDR). The PDR is a 13.1 (half-marathon) race through the city of Philadelphia. It starts and ends at the Art Museum. We head out towards City Hall and then loop back towards the Art Museum and then down Kelly Drive to the Falls Bridge, across the Falls Bridge and then back towards the Art Museum. We got up there early and had found a great parking spot, but then we waited. The excitement was building and then it was time. We began in corral number 11 and waited for the wave start. We started about 20 minutes after the first group. We were feeling great and made it to the 5k marker at a 8:28 pace, much faster then both of us ever train-but that is what happens with all the built up adrenaline. Thanks to my sisters GPS watch-we were able to keep a close eye on our pace and we realized that 12 more miles to go we had to slow down. So we pullled back a little and at the 10k mark we were at a 9 min then we continued on and varied our pace between 9-10 minute miles. At 10 miles, Kelly started to have pain in her knee and was not sure of what happened, but was worried she wouldn't be able to finish, but she did and one step at a time we got to mile 12 and then it hit me and I started to feel numb, but my sister helped me get through it. Leaning on one another. Realizing that the goal was greater then just a time, but going through the experience together and finishing together. The moment we crossed the finish line TOGETHER was worth all the pain each of us felt during the race. The realization that we just spent 10 weeks and 180 miles of preparing for this one day. In the end it took us 2 hours and 6 minutes. I look forward to the next race, the next time I get to run with my sister, to put one foot in front of the other knowing that when it gets hard we have each other for support.





Kelly-I am so proud of you, so blessed that we are able to share this moment with each other.





1 comment: